“Always in the big woods when you leave familiar ground and step off alone into a new place there will be, along with the feelings of curiosity and excitement, a little nagging of dread. It is the ancient fear of the unknown, and it is your first bond with the wilderness you are going into. What you are doing is exploring.”
-Wendell Berry, The Unknown Wilderness: Kentucky’s Red River Gorge
At Rootstock Racing, we love scouting our race courses. The idea for the adventure trek came from one of our many scouting adventures, which often involve long rambles through unknown and sometimes unmapped woodlands, usually on foot. With our adventure trek, we hope to share the treasures we find along the way, allowing racers to take in the landscape and enjoy a healthy dose of adventure and navigational challenge, without worrying about bikes and boats.
The Crooked Compass Adventure Trek is part-adventure racing, part-rogaining, and part-walk in the woods! Solos and teams of 2-4 will travel by foot, using pre-plotted water resistant maps and compass as they locate as many checkpoints as possible within the time allotted.
The 2020 race takes us back to Thurmont, Maryland, but don’t let the repeat location fool you. You’ll experience new terrain and a totally new course, with the same great Rootstock community feel.
The Crooked Compass serves as great training for bigger events, whether you are taking on a 24 hour adventure race, a multi-day expedition race, or our very own two-day Stockville in the fall. And if you’re new to adventure racing, this is a great introductory event that will challenge and give you a taste for what the sport is.
Course and Map Notes will be available in December.
- Date: April 4, 2020
- Time: 8:00AM to 4:00PM
- Check in will open at 7AM
- Where: Thurmont, MD
- Team Size: 1-4 racers
- We recommend the Super 8 in Thurmont, MD. The hotel is near gas stations, some fast food, restaurants, and a grocery, and they offer breakfast. Check back here for info on a special rate during race weekend.
- Frederick, MD or Gettysburg, PA have more options, though they are both further away from the start/finish.
- There are some local campgrounds in and around the State Forest.
- $65 per racer until February 29, 2020
- $85 per racer March 1 through April 3, 2020 (no race day registration)
Gear List: Available here!